Video: Suspect ambushes officers, killed in shootout
One suspect hid in a car, and began firing as officers approached the second suspect, spurring a fatal shootout
By Justin Finch
MIAMI — Dramatic video of a police shootout outside a marijuana growhouse last year that left one suspect dead and a Miami-Dade officer severely wounded was released by prosecutors Thursday.
The video, posted on the Miami Herald website, shows the July 2012 exchange of gunfire between homeowner Gerardo Delgado and authorities, including Miami-Dade Det. John Saavedra, who suffered gunshot wounds to his abdomen and had to be airlifted to Ryder Trauma Center.
In the video, taken from cameras at the growhouse in the 6000 block of Southwest 22nd Street, Delgado is seen getting into a car moments before Saavedra and other detectives arrive and begin questioning another man, Luis Lazaro Estevanell, who exited the house. As the officers question Estevanell, an armed Delgado left the car and began to shot at the officers, who returned fire.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman