Video: Suspect subdued by Calif. police later dies
Officers feared the woman who had called police was in immediate danger, and the suspect refused to cooperate
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — A man died while he was in the custody of Sacramento police after he got into violent struggle with officers Friday evening.
A woman called 911 around 5:46 p.m. from the Metro PCS Store on the 8300 block of Folsom Boulevard to report that a man inside made her feel like she was in danger, Sacramento police Officer Doug Morse said. The woman, an employee at the store, said she asked the man to leave, but he refused.
Morse said officers arriving at the scene had their lights and sirens on because they did not know the man's intent. The officers found the suspect still inside of the store and feared the incident could turn into a hostage situation. Morse said the officers pried the door open after the man held the door shut. When officers got inside, the man got into a violent struggle with the officers, Morse said.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter