7 dead after violent weekend in Chicago
The tally, which included at least 41 injuries, spanned Friday night through Sunday night
CHICAGO — Chicago Police are investigating several shootings after a violent weekend that left at least seven people dead and more than three dozen wounded.
The Chicago Sun-Times reported Monday that it was the city's most violent weekend of the year.
Authorities say the weekend's first homicide happened late Friday. The tally, which included at least 41 injuries, spanned Friday night through Sunday night.
Also, police say an officer shot and killed a teenager Sunday night on the South Side after the teen pointed a gun at them. The Medical Examiner's office identified the teen as 15-year-old Michael Westley.
Police say despite the spate of shootings over the weekend there have been fewer shootings and homicides this year compared to the same period last year.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter