Motorcycle cop recovering after struck by lightning
The officer was on duty on his department-issued motorcycle when he was struck, his condition is unknown
By Adam Lindhardt
KEY WEST, Fla. — Key West Police Department motorcycle patrolman Deglys Chavarria was struck by lightning while on on duty Wednesday morning, according to police and one eyewitness account.
Chavarria, 27, was on his department-issued motorcycle heading south on North Roosevelt Boulevard at the Palm Avenue stop light about 10:30 a.m. when he was hit by the bolt, said police spokeswoman Alyson Crean and Citizen newspaper hawker Lou Ann Carnell.
He was taken to Lower Keys Medical Center and was reportedly alert and consciousness, but his immediate condition was not known.
Full Story: Motorcycle cop hit by lightning
- Motorcycle Patrol
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy