Chicago police: Homicide, number of shootings fall
The department said Monday that there have been 184 homicides this year, 29 percent fewer than the 260 homicides during the same period in 2012
CHICAGO — Chicago police say the city has seen a significant drop in the number of homicides and shootings during the first six months of 2013.
The department said Monday that there have been 184 homicides this year, 29 percent fewer than the 260 homicides during the same period in 2012.
The number is the lowest for the time period since 1965, police say. Chicago saw 500 homicides total in 2012.
Police also said there have been 843 shootings in the first six months of the year, down 25 percent from the 1,117 shootings during the same time period last year.
The department said Chicago officers have seized more than 3,500 illegal guns so far this year.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house