Video: Utah man pulls gun in police lobby
A man attempted suicide-by-cop when he pulled an unloaded gun on police in station's lobby
By Janelle Stecklein
The Salt Lake Tribune
WEST VALLEY, Utah — The district attorney’s office found that Sgt. Jeff Conger was justified in the April 29 non-fatal shooting of James Ramsey Kammeyer Jr.
Kammeyer entered the lobby, at 3575 S. Market St., and asked to speak with a police detective about reporting a crime. The officer said Kammeyer was "fidgety" and "nervous." When the officer walked out to speak with him, Kammeyer pulled a gun and pointed it at the officer and employee working behind the desk.
Conger kept the door to the lobby open slightly and stuck his gun through the opening and fired four to six shots, some of which struck Kammeyer. Kammeyer, 39, is facing charges of threat of terrorism, three counts of aggravated assault and use of a firearm by a restricted person.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman