Iowa cop shot, escaped inmate sought
A man thought to be a convicted burglar shot an officer twice and stole his cruiser; suspect still at large
By PoliceOne Staff
NEW MARKET, Iowa — Officials are searching for an inmate who escaped a minimum security prison Friday morning and is suspected of shooting an officer.
Deputy Dan Wyckoff was responding to a call about a man walking along a highway Sunday when the man, Rodney Long, fired at the officer twice and took off in the cruiser, according to the Associated Press.
A second deputy arrived to pick up Wyckoff and the two continued to pursue Long. The pursuit ended when the shooter flipped the cruiser, but he still managed to escape on foot.
Wyckoff suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
At least a dozen law enforcement agencies are searching for Long in the rural Taylor County area, according to the Des Moines Register.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert