Utah cop ambushed, killed, 2 wounded
Officer Derek Johnson was investigating a parked vehicle when the driver opened fire
Duty Death: Derek Johnson - [Draper, Utah]
End of Service: 09/01/2013
By PoliceOne Staff
DRAPER, Utah — A man and woman crashed their vehicle Sunday morning, and then the driver shot the officer who came to investigate the car, before shooting his passenger and himself.
Dispatchers received an unintelligible distress call from Officer Derek Johnson at about 6 a.m. which was followed by several calls from neighbors reporting shots fired, according to The Salt Lake Tribune.
Johnson , 32, had pulled up behind a vehicle which was parked at an odd angle when he was ambushed by the vehicle’s driver. Johnson, unable to return fire, drove off, but the man continued shooting, and Johnson crashed three blocks away.
"This is a very tragic day for the Draper City Police Department," a somber Draper Police Chief Bryan Roberts said at a news conference.
The driver turned his gun on his passenger, a 34-year-old woman, then himself, according to the report.
Officer Johnson died of his injuries. The two suspects are in critical condition.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman