Off-duty Calif. cop shot with own gun
The officer was involved in a collision and the other driver used his weapon to shoot him
By Bettina Boxall
Los Angeles Times
LA HABRA, Calif. — An off-duty La Habra police officer was shot with his own weapon early Saturday during a fight after a traffic accident on the 5 Freeway in Castaic, authorities said.
The shooting is under investigation by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, which said the officer's injuries were not life threatening.
The incident occurred near Templin Highway at 5:15 a.m., when the officer was involved in a traffic collision. During a subsequent struggle, the other driver used the officer's handgun to shoot him, according to the Sheriff's Department.
The gun has not been recovered, and no description of the suspect or his vehicle was released.
Copyright 2013 the Los Angeles Times
McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds