St. Louis officer fatally shoots armed KFC robbery suspect
The suspect refused orders to drop the weapon and the officer fired two shots
ST. LOUIS — Police say an officer fatally shot a suspect in an armed robbery of a St. Louis fast-food restaurant.
St. Louis Police Lt. Col. Lawrence O'Toole says a citizen flagged down an officer in a marked car Sunday evening and reported the robbery at a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant.
O'Toole says the officer went to the KFC and confronted the 52-year-old suspect, who raised a handgun toward the officer. O'Toole says the suspect refused orders to drop the weapon and the officer fired two shots, killing the man.
The 42-year-old officer is a 13-year veteran. He was not injured.
O'Toole says there is video from the restaurant and there were witnesses inside.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports about 40 onlookers gathered at the scene after the shooting, with some chanting protests against police.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman