Suspect fatally shot after dragging officer during traffic stop
In the midst of a stop, the Baltimore resident sped off, dragging an officer for several blocks
By PoliceOne Staff
BALTIMORE, Md. — A Baltimore man was shot and killed by police after dragging an officer several blocks in an attempt to escape from a traffic stop.
According to the Baltimore Sun, police pulled over suspect Shawn Dewayne Dean, 40, for a traffic violation. In the midst of the stop, Dean sped off, dragging one of the officers along with him.
The officer then fired a fatal shot. An unidentified female passenger was not hurt.
Officials are still determining how the officer was dragged with the vehicle, according to the report. The officer, who suffered an injury to his leg, was released from the hospital and is recovering at home.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court