Suspect fatally shot after dragging officer during traffic stop
In the midst of a stop, the Baltimore resident sped off, dragging an officer for several blocks
By PoliceOne Staff
BALTIMORE, Md. — A Baltimore man was shot and killed by police after dragging an officer several blocks in an attempt to escape from a traffic stop.
According to the Baltimore Sun, police pulled over suspect Shawn Dewayne Dean, 40, for a traffic violation. In the midst of the stop, Dean sped off, dragging one of the officers along with him.
The officer then fired a fatal shot. An unidentified female passenger was not hurt.
Officials are still determining how the officer was dragged with the vehicle, according to the report. The officer, who suffered an injury to his leg, was released from the hospital and is recovering at home.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform