Suspect fatally shot after dragging officer during traffic stop
In the midst of a stop, the Baltimore resident sped off, dragging an officer for several blocks
By PoliceOne Staff
BALTIMORE, Md. — A Baltimore man was shot and killed by police after dragging an officer several blocks in an attempt to escape from a traffic stop.
According to the Baltimore Sun, police pulled over suspect Shawn Dewayne Dean, 40, for a traffic violation. In the midst of the stop, Dean sped off, dragging one of the officers along with him.
The officer then fired a fatal shot. An unidentified female passenger was not hurt.
Officials are still determining how the officer was dragged with the vehicle, according to the report. The officer, who suffered an injury to his leg, was released from the hospital and is recovering at home.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house