La. cop attacked at restaurant, 3 teens arrested
The officer was hit in the back of the head then punched and kicked while he was down
By PoliceOne Staff
BATON ROUGE, La. — An officer working extra-duty security detail at a Chili’s restaurant was attacked from behind by three teen boys while talking to a customer.
Cpl. L. Mitchell was speaking with a woman who had allegedly sworn at a Chili’s server when he was hit on the head, knocking him to the ground, according to The Advocate.
Rineisha D. Smith, Dequincy D. Mccray, and Rodney D. Lee — all 17 years old — punched and kicked the officer while he was down.
Smith and Mccray told other officers that they attacked Mitchell because he was following the woman he’d been speaking with out of the restaurant. Their relationship to her was unclear.
Mitchell suffered a cut on his chin that required stitches, according to the report.
The teens were charged with second-degree battery, disturbing the peace and resisting an officer with violence.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help