Dallas lawyer killed after opening fire on police
Michael Edward Schmidt, a lawyer at a prominent law firm, reported a burglary, then opened fire on responding officers
By PoliceOne Staff
DALLAS — Police responding to reports of a burglary at a Dallas apartment complex were fired upon early Thursday, prompting police to return fire, killing the gunman.
Michael Edward Schmidt, a lawyer at a prominent law firm, told an employee to call police to report a break-in, then barricaded himself in a hallway near the lobby, according to Dallas News.
As officers arrived he opened fire, despite attempts from officers to negotiate. No officers or other residents were injured in the exchange of gunfire. Schmidt was killed by police, according to the report.
The motives behind Schmidt’s actions are still under investigation.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests