Officer injured, suspect dead in Ga. shooting
The incident was related to a reported stabbing at a nearby home
By Angel K. Brooks and Fran Jeffries
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. — Gwinnett County police continue to investigate an officer-involved shooting that took place Saturday afternoon near Lawrenceville. The suspect was shot dead and an officer was wounded.
Detectives confirmed that the incident was related to a reported stabbing at a nearby home.
No suspect or victim was initially found when officers responded to a stabbing call in the 3600 block of Willow Wood Way around 4 p.m.
Minutes later, officers received a call about a burglary in progress about three blocks away — in the 3800 block of Smokemist Trace. Officers encountered the suspect while checking the residence and shots were fired, police said.
The suspect died at the scene. One of the two officers was shot in the leg and taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The stabbing victim returned to Willow Wood Way a short time later and was transported to a hospital in serious condition. The victim was in stable condition late Saturday.
Witnesses told police the suspect had attended a party on Willow Wood Way during which the victim was stabbed.
No names have been released.
Copyright 2014 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert