Ill. officer injured after squads collide
The two officers were responding to a call of a possibly stolen vehicle
By Jonathan Bullington
BELLWOOD, Ill. — A Maywood police officer suffered minor injures when his squad car collided with a Melrose Park police squad car late this afternoon in Bellwood.
The two officers were responding to a call of a possibly stolen vehicle that originated in Melrose Park when the collision took place around 4:45 p.m. at the intersection of Grant and 25th avenues, said Andre Harvey, Bellwood public safety director and fire chief.
The two officers were not in pursuit at the time of the crash, Harvey said, and were not believed to have been traveling at high speed at the time of the crash.
Harvey said the officers were near where the suspect was believed to have exited the vehicle and was being chased on foot.
That suspect is believed to be in police custody, Harvey said.
The Melrose Park officer was uninjured, Harvey said, and the Maywood officer was taken to Rush Oak Park Hospital. He did not know the cause of the accident, but said slick road conditions may have been a factor.
Maywood and Melrose Park authorities could not be reached for comment.
Copyright 2014 the Chicago Tribune
McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court