Puerto Rico agent dies a week after shooting
A member of the Puerto Rico Police Department died after succumbing to gunshot wounds sustained seven days earlier
Duty Death: Carlos Rivera-Vega - [Puerto Rico]
End of Service: 01/21/2014
By PoliceOne Staff
MAYAGUEZ, Puerto Rico — A member of the Puerto Rico Police Department died after succumbing to gunshot wounds sustained seven days earlier in a shooting.
Agent Carlos Rivera-Vega was investigating a scene at a housing complex in Mayaguez with other members of the Mayaguez Drugs Division when the incident occurred.
A resident approached the officers to question their presence in the complex. During the confrontation, the resident pulled out a handgun and opened fire, hitting Agent Rivera-Vega in the abdomen, according to odmp.org.
The suspect committed suicide on the scene.
Rivera-Vega was hit twice. He succumbed to his wounds during his stay at Rio Piedras Medical Center. He is survived by his wife and two children.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Officer makes history as NYPD's first female counter-sniper