logo for print

NC deputy, K-9 shot during standoff

One deputy knew suspect, and didn't expect any trouble from him

By John Hinton
Winston-Salem Journal

MOCKSVILLE, N.C.  A 19-year-old Davie County man was arrested Wednesday night after he was accused of shooting a deputy and a police dog during a standoff before surrendering to authorities.

Davie County Sheriff Andy Stokes said the incident began around 4 p.m. when a deputy attempted to serve an arrest warrant on Nicholas Scott Tilley for a home invasion that had occurred around Christmas. A Davie County magistrate issued the arrest warrant for Tilley earlier Wednesday.

One deputy knew Tilley, and that deputy didn't expect any trouble from him, Stokes said.

Tilley took at least one juvenile hostage at a home on Cornatzer Road, off U.S. 64, and fled the scene. Tilley told his probation officer that he would not surrender to deputies and threatened to kill them if they confronted him, Stokes said.

"We, of course, began a manhunt for him," Stokes said. "We searched for 1 1/2  hours, and his car was spotted at a mobile home on South Angell Road."

Investigators eventually learned that Tilley was inside the mobile home with the juvenile, Stokes said.

Tilley later told the probation officer that he was holding the first juvenile and a second juvenile at gunpoint and that he would not let them go, Stokes said. Tilley initially refused to speak to Stokes or his deputies.

Tilley then asked his probation officer for some cigarettes, and deputies complied, Stokes said. But Tilley wouldn't come out of the mobile home to get them.

One of Tilley's relatives arrived on the scene, Stokes said. Tilley refused his relative's request for him to surrender to the deputies.

Tilley did release his two hostages, who were unhurt, Stokes said. The juveniles had known Tilley.

Deputy Chris Fleming, with his police dog, was among the 15 to 20 deputies at the scene, Stokes said. The dog went into the mobile home, and Fleming, two other deputies and Stokes followed the dog inside.

"When the canine went into the house, the man disappeared into another room, and shots were fired," Stokes said. "We were right behind the dog."

Before the deputies went inside the mobile home, they didn't see any firearms that Tilley might have had, Stokes said.

The sheriff said that Tilley fired up to eight shots. Fleming, who was wounded in his right shoulder, dove out of a window, Stokes said.

Fleming was taken to the Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center for treatment, and he was doing OK, Stokes said.

"I ask you to keep him in your prayers," Stokes said to a group of reporters at the sheriff's news conference at Oak Grove United Methodist Church on U.S. 158, three miles from where the standoff took place.

The dog was shot several times, including a severe gunshot wound to one of his legs, Stokes said.

"We are going to do everything possible to keep him alive," Stokes said of the dog.

Stokes fired three to four shots to cover his deputies as they left the mobile home, but Tilley wasn't injured. Tilley's mother later arrived at the scene, and but she didn't directly speak to her son, Stokes said.

"I made the decision not to put her in harm's way," Stokes said. "We deliberately didn't rush this situation after the hostages were released. We did not rush it to prevent it any further bloodshed."

Tilley eventually surrendered to deputies about 8 p.m. and was taken to Davie County Jail, Stokes said. A magistrate was expected to issue charges against him Wednesday night and set his bond, Stokes said.

The sheriff's office will identify the suspect and detail the charges against him today, Stokes said.

Copyright 2014 Winston-Salem Journal


McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Officer Safety

Sponsored by

Copyright © 2018 PoliceOne.com. All rights reserved.