Wis. lieutenant battles rare Stage 4 cancer
Lt. Chris Blaszak has been diagnosed with a life-threatening form of cancer
By Jeremy Ross
MILWAUKEE — A Milwaukee police lieutenant has seen hundreds of homicide cases and has seen danger while serving overseas — but now, he’s facing death in a way he never imagined. MPD Lt. Chris Blaszak has been diagnosed with a life-threatening form of cancer.
Blaszak has been on sick leave for weeks now — recovering from surgeries to his face, after what Blaszak thought was an infected wisdom tooth turned out to be Stage 4 squamous cell carcinoma of the mandible.
“It’s a shock to everybody,” Blaszak’s cousin, Delanie Ford set up a fundraising webpage to help the family deal with the costs insurance won’t cover and the income cancer has taken away from Blaszak’s family. Blaszak is in the process of considering chemo and radiation therapy.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Trooper under investigation for calling ICE to report illegal immigrant
- Police say newly freed gang member killed Calif. officer
- Bystander helps officer under attack by jumping on suspect's back
- Sheriff Joe successor pulls back on immigration holds in jails
- Ala. church asks for its own police department