Video: Okla. cop narrowly avoids careening car
A newly released dash cam video captured the moment when an Oklahoma officer narrowly avoided being struck by a driver
By PoliceOne Staff
MIDWEST CITY, Okla. — A newly released dash cam video captured the moment when an Oklahoma officer narrowly avoided being struck by a driver careening into his cruiser during a traffic stop.
According to KSN, Sgt. Brad Rummell was nearly hit by a driver who was distracted and talking on her cell phone.
Midwest City Police Chief Brandon Clabes believes the officer’s training — in this case, turning his vehicle’s wheels to the left — had a substantial role in saving his life.
“In this case, it’s probably what saved his life or prevented him from being hurt. It shot it (the car) at an angle instead of going straight forward,” Clabes said.
Two people were transported to the hospital following the incident. The driver was ticketed for inattentive driving, according to the report.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter