Video: Violent Iowa shootout captured on dash cam
Officer Brendan Zeimet was shot by 30-year-old Aaron Edward Scott on April 1 as he approached the suspect’s vehicle
By PoliceOne Staff
MAQUOKETA, Iowa — The Maquoketa Police Department has released a dash cam capturing a shootout between a suspect and an officer.
According to WQAD, Officer Brendan Zeimet was shot by 30-year-old Aaron Edward Scott on April 1 as he approached the suspect’s vehicle, which was parked on the wrong side of the street with its lights out.
Scott, who was sitting in the vehicle as the officer approached, brandished an SKS rifle and opened fire.
Officer Zeimet and Scott can be seen firing at each other multiple times in the dash cam. Scott fired his weapon at least 14 times, according to the report.
Zeimet was shot in the forearm, the Quad-City Times reported. Scott was hit in the leg.
Scott was later found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in his overturned pickup after fleeing the scene. Investigators found a .308 deer rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun in his vehicle, in addition to the SKS. All of the weapons were owned legally, according to WQAD.
Officer Zeimet has been cleared of any wrongdoing and is expected to return to work on April 14.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Actor Tom Hanks is on the beat, flagging car for police