Ala. officer killed responding to accident call
Sheriff Deputy William Kelley, 46, was en route to an accident when his cruiser hydroplaned and collided with another car
Duty Death: William Kelley - [Covington County, Alabama]
End of Service: 04/18/2014
By PoliceOne Staff
COVINGTON COUNTY, Ala. — A sheriff deputy with eight years on the force was killed Friday while responding to a single-vehicle crash when it cruiser hydroplaned, striking another vehicle.
Covington County Sheriff's Office deputy William Kelley, 46, was responding to an accident with injuries call, according to ODMP, during heavy rainfall, when the second crash occurred.
Andalusia Star reports that the driver of the other vehicle was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
Kelley was a former jailer and left behind a wife, three children, and three grandchildren.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court