Mich. suspect killed after attempting to ram cop, pursuit
A man suspected of attempting to run over a police officer was fatally shot by police following a pursuit
My Fox Detroit
DETROIT — A man suspected of attempting to run over a police officer was fatally shot by police following a chase.
FOX 2's Randy Wimbley reports the suspect tried to run over a police officer just before 3 p.m. Tuesday. Police then drove after the driver, who did not pull over. The suspect's vehicle later crashed in a Detroit neighborhood, prompting the suspect to flee on foot.
Four officers ran into a home after him on the five thousand block of Hillsboro Street, which is near Joy Road and Jeffries Freeway.
"At some point, while inside of the residence, they were confronted by the suspect who was inside of a closet. He emerged, pointed a weapon - a pistol - in the direction of the officers. He was ordered to drop the weapon. Officers responded, and the suspect was fatally wounded," explains Detroit Police Chief James Craig.
Officers are still investigating.
No word yet on if the weapon said to have been presented by the suspect has been recovered.
Reprinted with perimission from My Fox Detroit.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend