Calif. cop risks life to rescue DUI suspect from vehicle blaze
Crash left suspect unconscious in his burning car until a police officer pulled him to safety
ESCONDIDO, Calif. — A 21-year-old Los Angeles man was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of felony drunken driving in connection with a northern San Diego County traffic crash that left him unconscious in his burning car until a police officer pulled him to safety.
Moments after arriving in the area, a patrol officer found Uriel Basurto Sierra slumped unresponsive in his burning sedan and tried to put out the flames with a fire extinguisher. When the attempt failed, the lawman got into the car and dragged Sierra out.
All three of people involved in the accident were taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend