Calif. cop risks life to rescue DUI suspect from vehicle blaze
Crash left suspect unconscious in his burning car until a police officer pulled him to safety
ESCONDIDO, Calif. — A 21-year-old Los Angeles man was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of felony drunken driving in connection with a northern San Diego County traffic crash that left him unconscious in his burning car until a police officer pulled him to safety.
Moments after arriving in the area, a patrol officer found Uriel Basurto Sierra slumped unresponsive in his burning sedan and tried to put out the flames with a fire extinguisher. When the attempt failed, the lawman got into the car and dragged Sierra out.
All three of people involved in the accident were taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Officer makes history as NYPD's first female counter-sniper