Video: 2 killed in collision during SC pursuit
SC deputy could not stop in time after vehicle overturned
By PoliceOne Staff
DARLINGTON, S.C. — A dash cam video has been released capturing a fatal collision that occurred during a pursuit.
According to WSPA, the April 2 incident began after Deputy Richie Stevens clocked a car traveling 70 mph in a 35 zone. When the vehicle failed to pull over, a pursuit ensued.
ABC 15 reports that driver Tyler Evans Terry, 23, drove around a curve — out of the deputy’s sight — and slammed into a guard rail.
The vehicle rolled over, stopping in the middle of the highway, according to the report.
Deputy Stevens could not stop in time after spotting the overturned vehicle. The collision killed Terry and his passenger, 27-year-old Amberly McKenzie Hunnicutt.
Deputy Stevens and a ride along who was also in the cruiser were taken to a hospital as a precautionary measure and later released.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Alaska police fatally shoot armed man holding hostages
- PD removes 'Blue Lives Matter,' Punisher car decals after criticism
- Police: Some Chicago gangs turning to rifles for added firepower
- Report: Hiring standards may be lowered to meet Border Patrol staffing goal
- Retired CHP sergeant dies while protecting friend from robber