Video: DUI suspect strikes cop directing traffic, scuffle ensues
Officer was injured Tuesday after being struck by a vehicle while directing traffic after a multi-car accident
By PoliceOne Staff
SILVER SPRING, Md. — An officer was injured Tuesday after being struck by a vehicle while directing traffic after an accident involving four cars on a highway.
ABC 7 reports that the 58-year-old driver struck the 20-year veteran of the force after cones were removed from one of the blocked lanes.
A confrontation between the officer and the driver began shortly after. The officer attempted to open the driver’s door several times after the driver failed to immediately step out of the vehicle.
The driver at one point fell over after exiting his car.
The officer was escorted off the scene by a firefighter.
He was taken to the hospital and treated for minor injuries, according to the Washington Post.
The suspect is reported to have had a BAC of .22. He has been charged with DUI and failure to reduce speed to avoid a collision.
The officer’s actions during the incident will also be under investigation, according to the report.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court