Teen last to see slain Calif. cop alive pays respects
Daveon Scott attended a remembrance ceremony for late SDPD Officer Jeremy Henwood three years to the day he was killed
By Monica Garske
NBC San Diego
SAN DIEGO — City Heights resident Daveon Scott, now 16 years old, attended a remembrance ceremony for late SDPD Officer Jeremy Henwood three years to the day he was killed.
Alongside local leaders, community members and law enforcement, Scott remembered the fallen officer and the special moment they shared minutes before Henwood was mortally wounded by a gunman in City Heights on Aug. 7, 2011.
In his final act of kindness before his death, Henwood bought cookies for Scott at a McDonald’s restaurant on Fairmount Avenue. Scott was hungry and short on change and Henwood, a total stranger, offered to buy him the cookies in a tender moment caught on surveillance tape. The two shared a smile and some small talk, with the officer telling Scott to work hard, before Henwood took off.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms