Suspect bathroom breaks
When taking a subject to the bathroom, handcuff their dominant "strong" hand behind them to their belt or belt loop and uncuff the non-dominant "weak" hand. This may help prevent evidence from being easily retrieved and thrown down the toilet.
This was a lesson that I learned just this week when a suspect, thanks to the free use of his dominant hand, retrieved and flushed contraband down the toilet very quickly before I was able to get to it in time. He had pushed me out of the way.
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy