Video: Tense bridge standoff as NY man says he'll jump
A suicidal Brooklyn man clung to a cable on the Verrazano Narrows Bridge as he threatened to jump
New York Post
NEW YORK — A suicidal Brooklyn man had a tense four-hour standoff with rescuers Monday as he threatened to jump off the Verrazano Narrows Bridge — snarling traffic before he was taken into police custody, authorities said.
The man, in his 30s, exited his car mid-span on the Staten Island-bound upper level about 12:30 p.m., and said he would leap from a ledge, sources said. “At one point we thought he was going to jump,” NYPD Detective Dennis Canale said.
For four hours, he clung to a bridge cable. A Chinese language interpreter, Police Officer Yi Huang from the Fifth Precinct in lower Manhattan, was also called to the scene to assist with the negotiations.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help