Police release dash cam from fatal officer crash
Patrolman was responding to a call to help another officer
By PoliceOne Staff
WILLOUGHBY, Ohio — Dash cam video released Thursday shows the moments before an officer's fatal crash with a pickup truck while responding to a call to help another officer.
The crash occurred last month as Officer Jason Gresko approached a stop sign in Willoughby, where a truck made an unexpected left-hand turn. Gresko swerved to avoid the truck, which contained four passengers, then hit a tree.
"It appears Officer Gresko followed procedure and he saved the lives of four people," Lt. Thomas Trem told Fox 8 Cleveland. Excessive speed did not appear to be evident, the station reported.
Gresko had activated the cruiser's lights but not its siren, which Trem said the situation did not require.
An investigation will determine if charges will be filed against the driver, who took a field sobriety test and was ordered to give blood and urine samples.
Gresko served as a full-time officer with the Cleveland Clinic Police Department in addition to part-time work with Willoughby Police.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman