Video: NM police forced to shoot attacking dog
Officers were called to help when two dogs attacked a third, then charged at an officer
By Chris Ramirez
KOB News 4
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — The Albuquerque Police Department released lapel camera video to KOB Eyewitness News 4 showing an officer shooting a dog that was about to attack.
The incident happened Friday when APD officers responded to a call about three dogs that had attacked a Shar Pei mix. The situation had spiraled out of control forcing the owner of the Shar Pei to hit one of the other dogs in the head with a machete.
When APD officers arrived, the dogs were loose. The lapel camera video shows two dogs charging at the officers until one officer fires his gun, hitting the dog. Some criticized the officer’s decision to shoot the dog, but an APD spokeswoman said the officer had no choice.
Full Story: Police lapel cam shows dog attack
Recommended for you
'Take care of your cops': 2 career lawmen talk the benefits of building a relationship with the media
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Actor Tom Hanks is on the beat, flagging car for police