Video: Cop dragged from suspect's vehicle, police shoot driver
The suspect was shot 4 times after fleeing police when one officer jumped into his car to assure that it would not move
PITTSBURGH — A man who was shot by police during a traffic stop in November faced a preliminary hearing Thursday.
According to police, Leon Ford, 19, allegedly refused to cooperate with officers and drove off after a traffic stop. Fearing he would be dragged away, one officer jumped into the car and then reportedly fired after Ford resisted and refused orders to stop.
The criminal complaint said officer David Derbish said he feared the driver was reaching for a gun. He said two officers were in front of the driver’s side door, and he feared for their safety so he jumped in the car.
Recommended for you
'Take care of your cops': 2 career lawmen talk the benefits of building a relationship with the media
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Actor Tom Hanks is on the beat, flagging car for police