Video: Gift-snatching thieves cornered by cops
Three 'anti-santas' made off with presents from three homes in December before police caught them
By PoliceOne Staff
CASTLE GRESLEY, England — Dash cam footage released Tuesday shows police pursuing and eventually arresting a trio of thieves who had stolen Christmas presents from multiple homes and made off in a white van.
Darren Hackett, Francis Gilsenan and Daniel Sheridan broke into a home in Castle Gresley, England, last December and loaded gifts into the homeowner’s van — which they also stole, according to the Express and Star.
The men, who came to be known as ‘anti-santas,’ made two more stops before police spotted them and a pursuit ensued.
A spike strip was deployed, deflating a tire and quickly ending the pursuit. Police and K-9 units can be seen cornering the suspects.
Hackett, 31, received a five-year sentence for burglary and dangerous driving. Gilsenan and Sheridan each received two years, according to the article.
“These were particularly cruel crimes: they stole Christmas presents like games consoles that were clearly destined for young children. They’ll now be spending several Christmases behind bars,” said Sgt. Nick Barnes.
Recommended for you
'Take care of your cops': 2 career lawmen talk the benefits of building a relationship with the media
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend