Video: Texas deputy shot in face at traffic stop
The officer had no idea he was pulling over a convicted felon wanted for murder
By PoliceOne Staff
MONTAGUE COUNTY, Texas — Video was released Wednesday of a horrific traffic stop that left an officer with a gunshot wound to the face.
Montague County Sheriff’s Deputy James Boyd, 27, had pulled over a black Cadillac for a traffic violation, and leaned over the passenger side window when the driver suddenly opened fire. The driver struck Boyd twice in his ballistic vest and a third bullet grazed his forehead.
The driver, convicted felon Evan Ebel, then sped off and an off-duty detective spotted Boyd on the ground and came to his aid, according to KFDX News.
Ebel was being sought for the deaths of Colorado Prison Chief Tom Clements and Denver pizza delivery driver Nathan Leon at the time.
Ebel was killed in a shootout shortly after Boyd radioed for help and gave a description of Ebel and his vehicle.
Boyd is currently undergoing out-patient rehab at a Dallas area rehabilitation center, according to the article.
Recommended for you
'Take care of your cops': 2 career lawmen talk the benefits of building a relationship with the media
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert