Audio: Cop shot several times describes suspect
Despite multiple wounds, officer alerted dispatch, then drove himself to hospital
By PoliceOne Staff
PAYSON, Ariz. — A Department of Public Safety officer was shot multiple times at a traffic stop Saturday night, yet still described the suspect’s vehicle clearly and calmly to dispatch before driving himself to the hospital.
The officer, whose name has not been released, underwent surgery and is in stable condition, according to ABC 15.
The suspect, 22-year-old Cody Archuleta, fired through the passenger window of his car and wounded the officer. He then fled for another 40 miles before he engaged in a gun fight with other officers, then shot himself to death, said DPS spokesperson Carrick Cook.
"The fact that we’ve got people getting shot and then taking themselves to the hospital that says a lot," Cook said. "If they're willing to do that for themselves and they're in a career to help others, it can only offer comfort to the people in those communities to know these are the types of people looking out for them.”
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court