Video released of Ore. police finding gunman who ambushed cop
As police sat quietly deciding their next move, the gunman's son exited the car and walked toward police
By Les Zaits
PORTLAND, Ore — Police on the hunt for a gunman who shot Oregon State Police trooper Matt Zistel in August found their suspect parked along Interstate 84, a half-mile from where the gun battle erupted.
Officers quickly shut down traffic for a 5-mile stretch of freeway between Biggs Junction and Rufus to deal with the gunman, John V. Allen, 34.
Police were mulling their options when one of Allen’s children, 13-year-old Justin Allen, stepped out of the car and walked back to police. He told police his father appeared to be dead and his two siblings — John Allen III, 15, and Charity Allen, 10 — remained in the car.
Recommended for you
'Take care of your cops': 2 career lawmen talk the benefits of building a relationship with the media
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Officer makes history as NYPD's first female counter-sniper