S.C. inmate disarms CO, shoots self
By Clif LeBlanc and Ishmael Tate
Using a suspect's weight to prevent disarming
COLUMBIA, S.C. — In a two-pronged response to an attempted suicide in a Columbia hospital emergency room, the state prison agency is reviewing its procedures and equipment while the hospital decided to open a separate waiting room for inmates.
On Wednesday, questions were raised about how easily a woman patient was able to pull a gun from a prison officer's holster and shoot herself in the head at Palmetto Health Richland Tuesday night. The woman remained in critical condition Wednesday.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: S.C. inmate disarms CO, shoots self
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend