Ga. sheriff's deputy has heart attack on duty
James Michael Lord, 56, became ill while transporting an inmate
Duty Death: James Michael Lord - [Forsyth, Georgia]
By Julie Arrington
FORSYTH, Ga. — The Forsyth County Sheriff's Office is mourning a veteran deputy who died Monday afternoon of an apparent heart attack while on duty.
Sheriff’s Capt. Frank Huggins said James Michael Lord, 56, became ill while transporting an inmate to the local detention center from Magistrate Court.
Huggins said Lord was taken to Northside Hospital-Forsyth, where he was pronounced dead. Funeral arrangements were not immediately available.
Karleen Chalker, sheriff’s personnel coordinator, said Lord’s death came as a “shock.”
“This caught us by surprise,” she said.
Chalker said Lord had been with the agency since 2000 and had worked in the sheriff’s detention division headquarters transport unit since 2005.
Read full story: Forsyth County sheriff's deputy dies on duty
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Actor Tom Hanks is on the beat, flagging car for police
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert