Calif. parolee has 2 shootouts with cops before 7-hour SWAT standoff
Was arrested on attempted murder of a police officer after shooting at cops twice and carjacking a homeowner in less than 24 hours
By John Asbury
The Press Enterprise
HEMET, Calif. — In less than 24 hours, a Hemet parolee is suspected of engaging in two shootouts with police, carjacking a homeowner and locking down a condo complex during a standoff with the SWAT team.
Riverside County sheriff's Central Homicide detectives will recommend charges against Floyd Edward Atkerson Jr., 41, who is suspected of firing on officers in Homeland and Hemet, sheriff's Lt. Robert Peebles said Thursday.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman