Calif. parolee has 2 shootouts with cops before 7-hour SWAT standoff
Was arrested on attempted murder of a police officer after shooting at cops twice and carjacking a homeowner in less than 24 hours
By John Asbury
The Press Enterprise
HEMET, Calif. — In less than 24 hours, a Hemet parolee is suspected of engaging in two shootouts with police, carjacking a homeowner and locking down a condo complex during a standoff with the SWAT team.
Riverside County sheriff's Central Homicide detectives will recommend charges against Floyd Edward Atkerson Jr., 41, who is suspected of firing on officers in Homeland and Hemet, sheriff's Lt. Robert Peebles said Thursday.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- AG Lynch: US must hold police accountable
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help