Ex-SWAT officer killed by deputies in SBC
He came out of the house wearing a utility vest after a long standoff and then stabbed an officer with a knife
By Taylor Kearns
LEXINGTON COUNTY, SC — A former SWAT officer was shot and killed in a struggle with law enforcement.
Investigators said 43-year-old Craig Thompson attacked a deputy with a knife. Deputies were at his home on Conrad Circle near Irmo responding to a domestic violence call.
Craig Thompson was a 10-year veteran of the Lexington County Sheriff's Department. A former detective and member of the department's SWAT unit, he was trained to respond to hostile situations. But the sheriff said Thompson may have called on that training to take his own life Friday morning.
Read more on wistv.com
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests