Utah SWAT member shoots self during training
The officer was climbing a steep ravine when an AR-15 rifle slung over his back discharged
By Kimball Bennion
The Salt Lake Tribune
SALT LAKE CITY — A member of the Box Elder County SWAT team shot himself in the ankle Friday when his gun accidentally went off during a training exercise.
Box Elder Sheriff Deputy Kevin Potter said the victim was a 42-year-old male officer who had been working with the team for seven years. The officer was climbing a steep ravine at the Docs Flat Campground when an AR-15 rifle that was slung over his back discharged and hit him in the ankle.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Utah SWAT member shoots self during training
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms