Ark. officer dies during SWAT training
The officer complained of shortness of breath, then collapsed
Duty Death: Hans Fifer - [Faulkner County, Arkansas]
End of Service: 04/08/2013
By PoliceOne Staff
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — A sheriff’s deputy died Monday morning when he collapsed suddenly during SWAT training.
After complaining of shortness of breath, Hans Fifer, 32, was given oxygen by EMS and then collapsed, according to Arkansas Online. EMTs performed CPR until an ambulance arrived and brought him to a nearby hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
"We think there may have been some underlying health issues that we weren't aware of and maybe Hans wasn't even aware of," Faulkner County sheriff Andy Shock said.
Fifer was only with the department for 3 months, and served as volunteer reserve deputy and as an officer with the Cabot Police before joining Faulkner County, according to the article.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend