Suspect in custody after lockdown of Conn. campus
An armed man was spotted on the campus of Central Connecticut State University on Monday, prompting a schoolwide lockdown
By Dave Collins
NEW BRITAIN, Conn. — Officials say one person is in custody following the sighting of an armed man who prompted a lockdown at Central Connecticut State University.
New Britain Mayor Timothy O'Brien says the suspect is in the custody of campus police.
Sightings of a man armed with a sword and possibly a gun on Monday morning set off a school-wide lockdown and warnings for students to stay away from windows.
A university spokeswoman says all students have been safely evacuated from a residential building where police were searching for the possible gunman. Spokeswoman Janice Palmer said Monday that the students who had been inside James Hall were moved to another building for questioning by police.
Classes were canceled for the rest of the day. Palmer said the order to stay inside remains in place.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests