N.Y. Armed Standoff Leads to Arrest, House Fire
SARANAC, N.Y. (AP) -- An armed man was arrested after burning down his trailer during a 20-hour standoff with police.
Mark Devins, 35, had been drinking and taking medication Friday night at the trailer he shared with his girlfriend when he loaded a shotgun, state police said.
The girlfriend, who was not identified, called police, who cordoned off the area around Devins' trailer.
Negotiations deteriorated as Devins continually refused to give up his weapon. The next day, Devins seemed agitated and at one point, fired a shot through the window, police said.
Devins appeared armed outside the trailer several times, but refused to cooperate with police. He then set fire to the trailer and came out after the structure became fully engulfed, police said.
Devins laid the shotgun on the ground and was taken into custody.
Devins is charged with reckless endangerment, criminal possession of a weapon, menacing and other charges. Additional charges are pending.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform