Utah SWAT Officer Shot By Suspect While Serving Warrant
OGDEN, Utah (AP) -- A suspect killed himself after wounding a police officer, authorities said Wednesday.
The Ogden police SWAT team were executing a search warrant about 5 a.m. Wednesday at a home in Ogden, where the occupants were suspected of dealing methamphetamine, Detective Mike Ashment said.
The suspect began shooting at officers when they entered the home, he said.
Officer Chris Kovalsky was shot in the leg, and the suspect then barricaded himself inside a bathroom, Ashment said.
When officers tried to negotiate with the suspect, police say he shot himself.
The suspect was transported to the hospital where he died shortly after arrival. Kovalsky was treated and released.
The suspect's identity was not immediately released.
Kovalsky is a five-year veteran of the Ogden department, and he spent the last two with its SWAT unit, Ashment said.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house