Man With Gun Forces Bay Area Freeway Closure
A man who police say was carrying a gun is in custody now and both directions of I-80 at Highway 37 and American Canyon Road are open again as the investigation continues. Police took the man into custody around 10:15 a.m.
The California Highway Patrol says police approached a van parked on the side of the freeway.
NBC11 News Chopper 11 showed a tank with a tactical team arrive at the scene. The tank crew members approached the van with their weapons drawn. CHP representative J.D. Cook told NBC11 News via phone they used such heavy force because they did not know what to expect at the scene.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help