Neb. mall shooter leaves suicide note, wanted notoriety
The Associated Press
OMAHA, Neb. — A gunman who killed eight people at an Omaha, Nebraska, mall reportedly wanted to "go out in style."
Omaha, Nebraska, TV station KETV quotes a suicide note left by 20-year-old Robert Hawkins. A law enforcement official says the note was found by Hawkins' mother.
The Omaha World-Herald reports that the gunman had a military-style haircut and a black backpack, and wore a camouflage vest.
Witnesses say the shooter opened fire with a rifle, firing down from a third-floor balcony. Police say Hawkins apparently died of a self-inflicted wound.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house