Mall rampage over before Neb. police could engage shooter
OMAHA, Neb. — Gary Joy was a poet at heart. Beverly Flynn wrapped gifts at the Westroads Mall because she relished the holiday buzz. Angie Schuster was in love and busy planning her future.
They and five others were killed Wednesday by a suicidal 19-year-old who sprayed the Von Maur department store with about 30 rounds from an AK-47 rifle he had stolen from his stepfather. The killer, Robert Hawkins, then turned the gun on himself.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house