Mall rampage over before Neb. police could engage shooter
OMAHA, Neb. — Gary Joy was a poet at heart. Beverly Flynn wrapped gifts at the Westroads Mall because she relished the holiday buzz. Angie Schuster was in love and busy planning her future.
They and five others were killed Wednesday by a suicidal 19-year-old who sprayed the Von Maur department store with about 30 rounds from an AK-47 rifle he had stolen from his stepfather. The killer, Robert Hawkins, then turned the gun on himself.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police