Ill. campus begins text "e-lert" system
Belleville (Ill.) News-Democrat
EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. -- The new text alert system at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville went live last week, as professors reconsider a long-standing no-cell-phone policy in classes.
In the first two hours, more than 1,000 people had signed up for the text alert system that will send them an emergency message if there is an emergency, such as a school shooting or a natural disaster. As of lunchtime, 1,800 had signed up.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Ill. campus begins text "e-lert" system
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help