3 dead, 3 hurt in Va. shootings
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — A gunman killed three people and wounded three others at an apartment complex, police said.
Authorities were trying to confirm Thursday if the gunman was among the dead.
''We are telling the public to rest easy, so you can read between the lines,'' said spokesman Adam Bernstein. ''But we want to be 1,000 percent, completely accurate and certain.''
The identities of those killed were not released. Bernstein said he had no new information about the shootings or about the conditions of the injured, who had been taken to local hospitals.
Homicide investigators remained at the complex overnight, Bernstein said.
Police were notified around 5 p.m. Wednesday that shots were fired at the Thalia Gardens apartments. One witness said he heard between 10 to 15 shots.
Armed SWAT team members zeroed in on a two-story brick building and used a loudspeaker around 7 p.m. to order the gunman to come out.
Bernstein said the SWAT team left around 11 p.m. Several streets were closed off and nearby residents were told to stay indoors.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman